Our fifth child moved out on Friday. She had been out before, but was back since December. This move includes a year-long lease and a very decent and kind roommate. So, for some reason this move seems real. The real one.
For the last two days it has been a frenzy of moving, cleaning, re-arranging. There are still closets jammed with god-knows-what and stacks of things to be given to Goodwill, to the long-sleeve-shirt-drive-for-Migrant-workers and bags of hangers to be recycled. There are boxes of books from childhood that can't be tossed, and boxes of books from a year or so ago that I can't find.
My legs ache. My sinuses are filled with dust. There are tears just behind my eyeballs.
Children moving out and getting on with things is a good thing! Trust me. This is why there is an "age 15" so that you can let go of them when the time comes. Gratefully!
But still. Cultivating a still heart, and seeking space in my insides, leaves me feeling the enormity of it as well. The time passing. The huge shift from keeping a house full of kids to living in a house without any.
The many birds - Cardinals, Indigo Buntings, Mockingbirds, Thrashers, hawks, chickadees and finches are all building nests. I watch them busy busy busy in my backyard.
And I, too, am building mine. But what a different type of nest.
And so it goes.
Time to get another cat...
ReplyDeleteI feel embarrassed sometimes - I honestly never felt anything but relief when my kids moved out. We loved having the house to ourselves.
The grocery bill halved, and there was room for more book shelves. It was all good.
I'm much happier as a grandmother than I was as a mother. I get to heap all sorts of love without having to deal with discipline and backtalk...(my granddaughter agrees with everything I say...but then, she's not yet a teenager...and my daughter was born screaming.)
I know that I am going to LOVE being a grandmother!
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm not unhappy that we have the house to ourselves. It's more like a meditation on the transitions...and how much more deeply I can feel them when I go slowly, and pause.
Art&Soul, I now understand what you meant by Witness. I think its one of the greatest lessons that I learnt. I surely will remember that FOREVER! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI'm hope you find more time for your art. And that we get to share in that...hint, hint.
ReplyDelete♥
Yes, me too! I have some great ideas ... and I'll post some pix of my art soon.
ReplyDelete