Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ulysses










I'm going to be wandering for a bit. Metaphorically and otherwise.

These photos are some that I took at the James Joyce center in Dublin. They're marvelous, extemporaneous illustrations from readers of Ulysses and they cover the walls in the outside courtyard.

If you've never ventured into Joyce's Ulysses I urge you to do so. If possible read it aloud. With a partner or friend. If a part doesn't make sense just move along - maybe it will become clear later, or maybe its supposed to be murky.

But some parts will crystallize for you, I promise. Some characters will tug at your heartstrings. Some moments will make you laugh. Weep. Gag. And may even move you to create a montage or collage of images. On a wall. In Dublin.

Life beckons me on a bit of a wander, and I doubt I'll have much time for blogging for a bit. So this seemed appropriate.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I believe I mentioned that I'm committed now. It might be difficult, but with luck I can get my wife to read the Molly Bloom section to me.

    See ya around. (And welcome back.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That might be one of the most intimate things we have ever done together -- although perhaps it felt that way because we had come through the whole book together.

    At any rate - ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will wander with you, vicariously, of course. Have a wonder-filled wandering. ;)

    ReplyDelete