Friday, May 22, 2009

The Preface

My long road trip had a bit of a preface. As my husband flew to NYC to complete some business (and make some money) I drove north ... through Cullman, AL and up to Bardstown, KY. My plan was to spend some time at St. Bernard's Abbey and then at Gethsemani Abbey. Both were delightful and made the trip seem restful and peacefully paced. Even though I was driving on some interstates.

Between Cullman and Bardstown I stopped at Mammoth Cave National Park. What a quaint stop, and a trip back in time as well as an astounding geological site. If you're ever anywhere near here, and enjoy stalagmites and stalactites then pull off and go!

Bardstown is interesting for a couple of things: (1) Its basically the bourbon capital of the world, so if you like bourbon - this one's for you! (2) It seems to be one of the major Catholic enclaves in the midwest and (3) Stephen Collins Foster had his home here and there is a lovely state park bearing the name "My Old Kentucky Home State Park." There is the home which is a lovely museum and beautiful grounds and a carillon playing 'Beautiful Dreamer' and other Foster tunes throughout the day.

I found Kentucky to be simply beautiful and very friendly. Traveling by myself I always get kind of skittish about where I stop and where I eat ... but here I felt totally fine walking around the small towns and stopping for gas or a bite to eat.

I stayed the "Beautiful Dreamer" B&B which was lovely ... but I think after two nights I was ready to move on. If, however, I wanted a kind of perfect town to raise my kids I might consider something like Bardstown. It has a very nice feel to it.

Then I drove into Louisville to pick up my hubby who flew in from NY and we set off. The Vacation officially began.

We meandered through Owensboro and visited his Professor at Brescia University (he's working on becoming a Deacon) and then we made for St. Louis. Had a lovely dinner in the Lafayette Square area and now are headed for Iowa.

We've slowed the pace down considerably and look forward to a long, lovely ramble through the midwest.

If you stayed awake long enough to read this - then I salute you!

No comments:

Post a Comment