Never let it be said that my life settles in and sits for a long time doing nothing. However much I may like that in theory, there is no experience of it. At all.
This week I'm planning a workshop for Saturday, and having two presenters in from out of town. They will be staying one night with me, and then the workshop is on Saturday morning. I'm looking forward to it very much - the planning has been simple and straightforward and it look slike we have an enthusiastic 30-50 participants. So that's great!
This week I'm also beginning a Writer's Group. Very small at this point, but we're moving ahead and so the writing will take on a bit more discipline. Thank god. It always sounds so trudging and boring to apply discipline to the creative process but it is never either of those. In fact, when I do apply a disciplined approach my whole creative process gets quite invigorated - so what's the resistance? Who knows. I'm just grateful to have a writer friend willing to start a group and begin the journey with me.
This week I'm also preparing, packing, organizing and planning to leave on Monday for a six week drive-about! We had to change our plans from a July/August trip to a May/June trip and that's been 'exciting' to see just how quickly we could make all the necessary changes and arrangements. I'm feeling very in-the-flow because most of it has worked out beautifully!
So off we toodle - up through Alabama into Kentucky and Indiana, turning left around Chicago and heading into Minneapolis then a serious meander through North and South Dakota and Montana and ending up in Wyoming at the Grand Teton National Park. I have no other set points...and even these are subject to change.
The call of the open road is a new thing for my husband...and so we pack a few things, mostly books and music, and head off with a hazy idea of where we want to go and read local papers and blogs as we move into an area to see what is going on at the time. We have a few family members to visit and we have laptops and phones if necessary. Mostly we read, walk, drive, putter and see what there is to see.
So this week, which is just halfway born today is full of good stuff. Shuffling the deck of my plans and existence to include some pretty good stuff. I'm not as opposed to "change" as I once was and I do find it fascinating that we can operate with some degree of spontaneity!
More blogs to come!
As Kurt once famously observed, 'I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.' In fact, I may have to post something about farting around although, almost by definition, I may have a hard time forcing it into a post.
ReplyDeleteYes! During my next 50 years here, I plan to take "farting around" to new heights!
ReplyDeleteSounds wonderful. I have a big road trip planned this summer, but with two children, I anticipate a somewhat different experience.
ReplyDeleteGood advice from Mr. V., I think.
K
So where are you headed?
ReplyDeleteLet's send in field reports!
If your travels bring you anywhere near Park City Utah, let me know because I would love to meet you in person.
ReplyDeleteI'm in Cullman, AL tonight and having some troubles with The Fray. Oh well. I think I'll read!
ReplyDeleteMeant to tell you, your BOTF thread ("On Being Right") is one of the best I have read recently -- great top post that has stirred really good discussion.
ReplyDeletehttp://fray.slate.com/discuss/forums/thread/2788791.aspx
Thanks!
ReplyDeleteAt first it was a reply to el cid, but I decided to top post it instead. I was a little worried, but ended up having some really good reads!
There are some awesome people on that site!
Hey - I may end up in Salt Lake City ... I believe that's fairly close to Park City isn't it?
A road trip sounds great! Hope you discover lots of new stuff:)
ReplyDelete