The garden is officially thriving! We got the seedlings in the ground about a week ago, and with our current cold snap the little buggers seem to be settling in for a great winter growth-fest.
We have four different lettuces, carrots (both orange and purple) and a variety of herbs including sage, rosemary, marjoram, parsley, mint and lemongrass. I recently discovered Lemon Basil and am hoping to get some of those in as well.
In the other area we have Cabbage, Kale, Chard, Collards. I'm not sure when the Broccoli is going in, but soon. Now that we have the basic plots organized and planted, we can fill in with the experiments.
I want some of those little baby fingerling potatoes.
So far the birds seem to love the garden - I imagine there are quite a few bugs and worms that have been turned up with all the tilling and planting. We haven't seen any rabbits or deer yet. I bet they are just waiting for the lettuce to get a little more robust. I have to say it does my heart good to look out the window and see the possibilities of fruits of our labor. Every time I take another Aleve I remind myself of that.
Beautiful in every sense, isn't it?
ReplyDelete(You zone 9ers make me sick.)
Yeah, it's really the time of year that I love where I live. :)
ReplyDeleteFunny, isn't it, when you read or hear something and you make an actual physical change in your life because of it. I wonder if people realize how truly important their words can be?
One nice part about the upper latitudes is that when an experiment like this miserably fails, something about the springtime makes you want to start again.
ReplyDeleteYes, I've often said that is a kind of curse to have year-round good weather. One feels the pressure to constantly bloom, constantly perform, and constantly "enjoy" the outdoors.
ReplyDeleteI have my winter moments, and I love them... huddled indoors, under a blanket, using a lamp, and reading a book. Keeping the blinds drawn.