adjective
1 of or relating to a transitional or initial stage of a process.
2 occupying a position at, or on both sides of, a boundary or threshold.
Maybe it seems odd to think of one's daily life as a constantly occupying a threshold space, or that it is always transitional. But for me, today, that works.
We are losing a young friend today. Her family has made the decision to discontinue life support (unless there is a miraculous change in status) and as a loving family group all surrounding Lawson in this moment, they will say goodbye. Liminal space.
Those of us outside that inner circle, who have loved this family and this girl at some point in our connected pasts also stand in awe of the tragic loss, and the hope for something else, and the visceral clutch of mortality in our own guts. Liminal space.
Saturday my youngest child turns 21. Our baby. A full grown adult. Parenting job done. Parenting job never done. Liminal space.
This is our daughter Susan. Welcome her into the world of adults. Happy Birthday Susan, I couldn't be more proud of you.
Happy Birthday, Susan. I have several nieces right around your age.
ReplyDeleteOne journey ends, another begins, I suppose. Doesn't mean we have to like it. But, I'm learning, begrudgingly, we do have to accept it. Not accepting it, I've also learned, leads to utter madness.
A beautiful young woman who, chronological evidence to the contrary notwithstanding, will always be your baby. Congratulations to you and her. At the same time, condolences to you all and especially Lawson's family. Life is never fair even when it appears to be. Truth be told, 'life' is disinterested. Persistence is a vastly underappreciated virtue.
ReplyDelete