Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Persimmons


A much misunderstood fruit, especially by me, the persimmon is actually gorgeous and tasty. We have a mature tree growing in our backyard, and now is the time of year where the hard green fruits begin to ripen.

They do so over the course of a few weeks, slowly turning from green to a pale yellowish to a warm lemony yellow and then they begin to blush. That's where they are right now (and I'm afraid my photo does NO justice to them).
The blush will increase over the next few weeks until the tree is filled with bright red, sweet and juicy persimmons. The raccoons love them. So do the squirrels and the Baltimore Orioles. And the little 3 year old daughter of our gardener friends.

Me. I keep thinking they will taste bitter. Or weird. And God forbid I should eat anything "weird." (You can insert an eyeroll here)

Today is also the day that my husband is going for a chest x-ray. He smokes 3 packs a day, and these check-ups frighten me.

Update: another clear picture. Whew.

8 comments:

  1. Once when I was visiting in California, I saw ripened persimmons on a tree whose leaves had begun to turn. The tree and fruit were all manner of pinks oranges and yellows.

    Persimmon Pudding is the best. I think you'll really like it.

    Tom smoked camels for years...the unfiltered kind. I nagged him into quitting, but he always went back. He did switch to Marlboros with filters, though. In the end, it made no difference. He died from heart disease, and he wasn't even 50 yet. Smoking will kill the heart as well as the lungs.

    The tobacco companies did everything they could to make sure humans became addicted quickly to cigarettes, and that the addiction would be nearly impossible to overcome.

    I'm glad your hubby's lungs are still clear. I wanna call him up myself, and nag him...please tell him you know someone whose husband died young. Lung cancer isn't the only disease the tobacco pushers are killing our loved ones with.

    If the radical rightwingers really wanted to bomb institutions where murder is planned, or assassinate those engaged in murder...well.

    And if the country is looking for money to pay for universal healthcare, why not tax the shit out of the alcohol, fossil fuel, and tobacco industries? I mean make those suckers pay.

    p.s. I have a persimmon pudding recipe here, if you like the thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cat - I will DEFINITELY try that Persimmon Pudding! Yum!

    And, I couldn't agree with you more about taxing those things ... I just would rather not nag on a daily basis in order to live a more peaceful life. :)

    He is pretty considerate and smokes outside. The rest I just have to turn over to the Universe because it is beyond my understanding.

    Hugs - I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's actually a variation of Nancy Reagan's recipe. heh.

    I think I found it in Good Housekeeping years ago, and altered it to fit my tastes and whatnots.

    The trick is to make sure the persimmons are so soft they look too ripe. Hachiyas that are bright, BRIGHT orange with soft brown spots are ready to be picked...but then you still need to let them get so soft and seethrough that you think it's too late.

    If you try to eat an Hachiya that isn't ripe, it will suck the moisture right outta yer mouth. Don't do it.

    The Fuyus are a better variety in my opinion...kinda salty and sweet at the same time. My recipe is better for Hachiya types...Fuyus can be cut up, and eaten diced. Hachiyas aren't really any good till they've got liquid. (el oh el. you think i'm kidding, i can see it your face.)

    OT: I think if you truly want to build an ICP-free forum, you folks might take on new nicks, just so your current mbtu cannot be followed.

    I think everyone has one or two other posters' email address, and the word could be passed along safely enough.

    I am online, but I have my paintshop pro open trying to clean up and finish some starlings I made...they're more stylized than realistic. I think I made them for Rundeep, because her nick is contained in both files. I don't remember why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if I'm going to get anything creative done I have got to limit my Fray time to like 5 minutes ... a week.

    I was musing to myself this morning "hmmmm, no time to write or paint but plenty of time to be abused by an insane creep in California? What gives?"

    I *do* know what you mean about the persimmons!!! I didn't realize they had different names, but my garden specialist friend tells me these are the kind you can dice and cut up when they're ripe and eat like a tomato or apple. But I'm going to try them in the pudding anyway, because hey if you have enough butter, brown sugar, flour and egg what can possibly go wrong? :)

    Can't wait to see the starlings!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be damned.

    So that's what my old 3 wood looked like before it became a golf club.

    See? Who says golf technology doesn't help?

    My old persimmon 3 wood was good for about 220 yds. My new titanium shafted Big Bertha goes about 260.

    Soon enough, the term "3 wood" will vanish from golf lexicon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Schmutzie - I think "3 wood" would make a good addition to Iso's "Stuff No One Says" thread!!

    Sort of like dialing the phone and rolling up the window!

    You should see those persimmons now - they're really getting beautiful, I think I'll take another picture tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad the appt went well for your hubby, it's a tough habit to give up for some people. I don't think I've ever had a persimmon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. bookbabie- thanks, it is a tough habit to kick.

    I had never had a persimmon either ... and I avoided them the first few years they ripened on the tree. "Too weird" I said. Whatadummy! :)

    ReplyDelete